So why use Node.js? Here are some key Node.js features that make it a popular choice for building web, desktop, and mobile applications:
- Scalability: Node.js can handle a large number of concurrent connections, improving application performance.
- Fast processing: Non-blocking thread requests are processed faster, enabling clients to receive faster responses for simple web application requests.
- Large support community: Node.js has a large online community and tutorial repository, making it ideal for beginners.
Who uses Node.js
Approximately 1.6 percent of websites currently use Node.js, and usage is on an upward trend. It is frequently used by sites with high traffic, including many well-known companies such as Twitter, Spotify, eBay, Reddit, LinkedIn, Godaddy, and Netflix. Concurrent request processing, its lightweight footprint, and other Node.js features make it ideal for applications such as chatbots, data streaming, and the Internet of Things (IOT). For example:
- Twitter used Node.js to improve the performance of its mobile web app.
- Node.js is the de facto front-end web stack used by eBay to power web applications and orchestrate services on the eBay platform.
Getting started with Node.js web hosting
Choosing the right development environment for your application can be a difficult decision, especially when starting out. This blog post has highlighted some of the key features of Node.js, and why it is a popular choice for web development. For more information about Node.js, please visit https://nodejs.org.